The mission of Pacific MusicWorks is to provide Seattle and the Pacific Northwest with music-theater presentations worthy of the world stage. PMW works to bring internationally renowned artists into collaboration with leading musicians from the Northwest, and to foster creative dialogue among artists from a broad array of fields and cultures. The heart of its repertoire is 17th- and 18th-century vocal music, but performances range from the Renaissance to innovative contemporary works and from chamber music to oratorio and opera. The organization springs from the vision and international performing career of founding artistic director (and Seattle native) Stephen Stubbs.
Pacific MusicWorks will be a source of artistic pride for the city of Seattle, providing opportunities for artists to perform to the highest possible standard locally, nationally and throughout the world. Through collaborations with artists of the highest caliber in other disciplines, Pacific MusicWorks will serve as a world-class advocate for its chosen repertoire.
Aims of the Organization:
- PMW is a production company defined by the artistic leadership of Stephen Stubbs that is focused primarily but not exclusively on the presentation of vocal music of the 17th and 18th centuries.
- PMW’s widest aim is to encourage a vital and informed dialogue between its current performers and the public at large. To this end, the organization will organize chamber operas, concerts, educational workshops and any number of performances/artistic collaborations that foster the understanding, discussion, enjoyment and dissemination of this music in a contemporary context.
- While committed to a scholarly awareness of historical performance practice, PMW does not see reconstruction as an end in itself, but rather a departure point for making this repertoire expressive and meaningful to a modern audience.
- With the success of the existing community in mind, PMW will schedule and program its activities in a spirit of transparency and cooperation with existing organizations in Seattle
- Beyond the mounting of original productions, PMW will sometimes import productions with a direct artistic connection to Stephen Stubbs.
- Committed to performing at the highest international professional standards, the organization will hire local and American artists whenever possible but will use foreign artists when a required talent is unavailable.
- The organization will place a premium on the deployment and development of local, regional and national talent and go on in the pattern established by the earliest productions of the organization (eg. William Kentridge, Heiner Goebbels and the Handspring Puppet Company of South Africa) of bringing distinguished artists from around the world to work closely with the best regional and national talents.
- PMW will use a variety of venues to present whatever repertoire it chooses in circumstances that best serve its particular acoustic and artistic requirements.
- As an integral part of its operations PMW will run an educational affiliate to train and educate young professional singers and musicians in the art of 17th and 18th century vocal music.
- Coproductions will be cultivated with organizations that have simliar aims as a way of consolidating financial resources